Where I got it: I was sent this from Dermalogica as a PR sample. This was released in New Zealand on 3rd March in stores and online for $109.
What I got: This is a 57g bottle of Dermalogica’s new Daily Superfoliant. Studies have found that pollution has a detrimental effect on our health, and in response to this, Dermalogica as formulated a new highly active powder re-surfacer; Daily Superfoliant. The Daily Superfoliant is comprised of ingredients that absorb pollutants, inhibit adhesion of pollution particles to help preserve the skin’s youthful structure, and offer exceptional resurfacing for softer, smoother skin.
- Activated Binchotan Charcoal Powder derived from Ubame Oak (also referred to as “white charcoal”) attracts and binds itself to impurities in the skin, pulling them out of pores.
- Rice Bran Extract, derived from rice seeds or husks, contain phytic acid, and when activated with water, enables dual-action chemical and physical exfoliation.
- Enzyme Trio of papain, lipase and subtilisin dissolve proteins in the skin, deeply cleanse skin while accelerating exfoliation.
- Malic Acid & Lactic Acid exfoliate and resurface for ultra-smooth skin.
- Red Algae and Tara Fruit Extract (anti-adherence complex) help preserve the natural barrier function of the skin.
- Niacinamide provides anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties to prevent adhesion of pollution particles and prevent signs of skin ageing.
How I find it: Not to be mistaken as Dermalogica’s best seller Daily Microfoliant, this new Superfoliant is a grey powder, just as fine as the Microfoliant. They both have similar usage directions. After cleansing, I pour out about half a teaspoon of this powder onto my hands (the dispenser is slightly hard to control as the powder is quite flowy), then I add a little bit of water to work this into a foamy grey paste (it foams up by itself). It is slightly grainier than the Microfoliant and therefore provides more physical exfoliation. Gentle massaging to thoroughly detox the skin of dirt and pollutants, then rinse off. I would use this in the evening because in the morning there wouldn’t be much pollution for you to “remove”.
Overall: I already use and love the Daily Microfoliant so no doubt this new version with added charcoal is going to make me even happier. The powder is a bit grainier than the original version. The powder is generally grey with white specks which do not really melt down as the rest of the product melts and foams up. The white particles do a gentle scrub against the skin and wash off cleanly. After washing off, but skin feels really smooth and soft, same results as the Microfoliant. I have been using this every night after cleansing for 2 weeks now and my skin is sooo smooth after using this and my blackheads have diminished! My skin texture has improved and is a lot brighter and more even-toned. The gentle formula does not irritate my skin at all and I had no sensitivity issues. I think a bottle like this would last me a good two and a half months if I use it nightly.